When I am arrested, how long will it take for me to get booked, processed and ready for a bail agent (Bondsman) to post my bond?
When you or a loved one is arrested by the police, it can be a scary, uncertain time. Here we describe what you should expect after someone is arrested in Utah, and when in the process a bail bondsman can help you get released.
What happens after an arrest depends on the jail where the person is being booked.
Salt Lake Adult Detention Center or Purgatory Correctional Facility in St. George
- If you or your loved one is being booked at Salt Lake ADC or Purgatory in St. George, you will generally spend 30-60 minutes in the “booking room” while the arresting officer completes legal paperwork. Once the paperwork is filed, the inmate proceeds to an area called the “first pit.” Arrestees will spend about an hour in the first pit being fingerprinted, taking mug shots, and providing information. Here, there is an opportunity to call friends or family from a pay phone.
- After leaving the first pit, inmates proceed to ”pre-trial services”, where they will spend 20-30 minutes. At pre-trial services, inmates undergo an interview. After the interview, it is determined whether bail is required or if the person can be released on their own recognizance. If pre-trial services determines that bail is required, the inmate is taken to the “second pit.”
- Once the inmate is in the second pit, they or a representative can contact the bail bondsman. It takes about 30 minutes for the bondsman to prepare the necessary paperwork, which is then faxed to the jail. The inmate typical spends an additional 2-4 hours in the second pit before the bond is officially posted.
- On average, inmates are released about four hours after the bond is posted, though this can take more or less time depending on how busy the jail staff are. Officially, the jails say to expect a 2-8 hour wait.
If you are trying to track an inmate, the Salt Lake ADC has an inmate lookup tool (http://iml.slsheriff.org/IML) which is updated daily.
All Other Utah Jails
All the other jails in Utah it usually takes 45 minutes to an hour to be booked and about the same to be released after the bail is posted. (The paperwork process, once they meet us, is usually 20 minutes from start until we post the bond then it is up to the jail for the rest of the time)
Bad Boys Bail Bonds Can Help
Bad Boys Bail Bonds of Utah is here to serve you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Don’t hesitate to call with questions. We understand what our clients are going through, and our staff of experienced professionals is committed to resolving your situation as quickly as possible. We are here to help! Contact Bad Boys Bail Bonds in Utah online or Call us at 801-895-4014.
Our bail bond agents are available in every corner of Utah, with counties including Salt Lake , Utah, Washington, Carbon, Summit, Tooele, Weber, and Wasatch counties, as well as several others. Our bail agents treat you with respect and work hard to get you or your loved one home as quickly as possible. Trust us to provide the attention and high-quality customer service you deserve.
Latest posts by Larry Nowak (see all)
- 5 Reasons a Judge Might Deny Bail - November 7, 2018
- How to Find a Reputable Bail Agent - August 28, 2018
- What You Should Know About Utah's Reduction Of The DUI Alcohol Limit - August 21, 2017